Sunday, November 13, 2011

About Me

I am a returning student.  I have a Master's Degree in Education, and have returned to school to add a Special Education Credential to my Elementary Education Credential.  I have been teaching in low income areas for 12 years.  Eight of those years were in Pomona, California, which is a very high Hispanic population and low soco-economic area.  Currently, I am working on a Native American reservation at a public elementary school.  I see many of the same issues with students' family structure, importance of education etc. as I saw in California.  Therefore, I was interested in taking a Sociology class in addition to my Special Education courses. 

“What is the cause of historical events? Power. What is power? Power is the sum total of wills transferred to one person. On what condition are the wills for the masses transferred to one person? On condition that the person express the will of the whole people. That is, power is power. That is, power is a word the meaning of which we do not understand. ”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace